Police investigating the London Bridge terrorist attack are searching two more properties in east London as they prepare to name the three men who killed seven people in the atrocity and left 21 people in a critical condition.
Counter-terrorist officers detained “a number of people” after raiding addresses in Newham and Barking at 4.15am, the Metropolitan police said.
Pedestrians were mowed down by a rental van on London Bridge on Saturday night before attackers stabbed a police officer and revellers around Borough Market with 12in knives.
One Dagenham resident reported hearing “loud flash bangs and gunshots” in the early hours of Monday morning. BatemanLDN said on Twitter: “It woke me up along with the whole street. Extremely loud bangs followed by gunshot bangs.”
@SkyNews New raids happening in Dagenham. Loud flash bangs and gunshots just off the A13 pic.twitter.com/5GcGweCMKo
June 5, 2017 Bateman
On Sunday, four other addresses were raided in Barking, including the home of one of the suspected attackers, and East Ham. Scotland Yard said seven women and five men aged between 19 and 60 were arrested under the Terrorism Act. A 55-year-old man was released later without charge.
Police know the identities of the attackers and will name them “as soon as operationally possible”. One of the attackers shouted “this is for Allah” as he stabbed a man near a pub, according to witnesses. Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement.
Theresa May will chair another meeting of the government emergency committee Cobra on Monday morning. Election campaigning is due to resume after being suspended on Sunday in the wake of the attack.
The first known victim of the attack was named as Christine Archibald from Castlegar, British Columbia, Canada. In a statement, her family said: “We grieve the loss of our beautiful, loving daughter and sister. She had room in her heart for everyone and believed strongly that every person was to be valued and respected.”
A French man was among those killed, according to the French foreign minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian.
Two Australians – Candice Hedge, from Brisbane, and Andrew Morrison, from Darwin – were wounded. Officials in Canberra government said there were two more nationals “about whom we have very real concerns”.
A vigil for the victims will be held on Monday evening at Potters Field near London Bridge and city hall.
The three attackers, wearing fake suicide bomb vests, were shot dead by eight officers outside a pub after police opened fire in hail of 50 bullets. A bystander was also wounded in the shots.
Network Rail said London Bridge rail and London Underground stations reopened at 5am but the rail station will be exit only.
A British Transport Police officer was stabbed in the head, face and leg after taking on the attackers armed only with his baton. An off-duty Metropolitan police officer was also injured after he tackled the men. Thirty-six people remain in hospital.
A friend of one of the attackers told the BBC Asian Network he had reported him to the anti-terror hotline after he began expressing increasingly radical views and justifying terror attacks, but the man said he was never arrested.
Giving an update on the investigation outside New Scotland Yard, the Met’s assistant commissioner, Mark Rowley, said “significant progress” had been made in identifying the attackers.
He said that as well as more armed police across the capital in coming days, “the public will also see increased physical measures in order to keep public safe on London’s bridges”.